Bring back my ’10 Ways With’ posts (which I was so excited about when I first started Healthy Natty and then, well, life happened).
Let’s start with one of my favourite fruits/herbs, banana, as I know even I am guilty of letting them go brown from time to time.
A little bitty intro about 10 Ways With…
You’ll notice in my navigation there is an option for ‘Ten Ways With”. My aim for this section of Healthy Natty was that one day in the future you’ll spot something starting to go soft in your fridge or fruit bowl, or something that’s been sitting around WAY too long in your pantry and you’ll remember me, when you come and check to see if I’ve written some ideas on how you could use said item, even if it’s on it’s last legs, and I help you to reduce food waste.
That’s the dream.
If you head to the section now and check the whole other 3 entries (where does time go?), you’ll see how far my photography’s come. I love seeing that, especially on self-doubty days.
10 WAYS TO USE BANANA
- Make banana pancakes. Mash the banana with an egg, some cinnamon, a little flour of your choice, milk and if you need some sweetness – sugar, honey or stevia. Need to keep it vegan? Use a chia egg and almond milk instead. Avoiding all things flour? Lots of people just don’t use flour and have a much more eggy pancake. Feel like waffles instead?
- Make banana waffles. Find a basic waffle recipe you like (I’ll be adding my favourite here soon), omit a small portion of the flour and add banana instead. My serving suggestion? Maple syrup, peacans and coconut yoghurt. SO good.
- Freeze them. Peel and chop the bananas and store them in a freezer! Add them to smoothies later, or bake banana nice-cream (that is, frozen bananas blended until creamy). You could also use them for future banana bread or cake, banana cheesecake, dip them in chocolate on a hot day as a dessert… if they’re frozen, you have plenty of time to decide which option to make!
- Smoothie bowl. Blend with pretty much any other fruit with some spinach (I love spinach as I love greens for breakfast) and top with your favourite muesli or my Almond & Maple Toasted Muesli.
- Make Muesli Bars. Mix together your favourite oats, nuts and seeds, add an egg and a teaspoon of melted coconut oil or olive oil (or butter if you prefer) and a mashed banana. Bake until golden!
- Banana French Toast. Two options here – mix mashed banana into the batter (yum), or, mash banana in between slices of bread, with chocolate or peanut butter, dip into the milky egg mixture and cook the sandwich whole.
- Got 3 bananas to use? Head on over to Melanie Lionello’s blog and make her Healthy Honey Oat Banana Bread. Trust me!
- Make banana cream cheese icing. Everyone loves cream cheese icing, and I bet they love it even more with a mashed banana whipped through…
- Banana Porridge. Just use 50% less oats and milk than usual and add your mashed banana to the cooking process. Add more milk (or water) if needed. Mix it up with blueberries, nut butter (I love banana and almond butter porridge), cacao nibs, chia seeds, walnuts, cinnamon, coconut sugar, shredded coconut… I could go on forever!
- Anyone for banana fudge? I love this recipe for banana fudge – 2 overripe bananas, 1 cup of cashew or other nut butter and 1/4 of a cup of coconut oil. Melt the oil, whizz it all together and put in the freezer to set. Thaw out for a couple of minutes before eating and that’s it! Fudge ready to go in the freezer.
My favourite? I’m actually a HUGE banana smoothie lover. I make mine with almond milk, cinnamon, honey and ice. If I have some on hand I add spinach, but also love it with frozen blueberries or raspberries.
Go forth and waste no more bananas!
Love it? Pin it!