The first recipe of 2016….
Hi! I know I am late but… Happy New Year! I have had a completely insane start to 2016. It wasn’t good enough that I was extremely busy & booked up in every way already, but by the second week I was hit with an insane bout of gastro (which I have never had – SO horrid!).
That has taken me a good 2 weeks to recover fully from and even now I am not that keen on heavy or sweet foods. It’s Summer and I haven’t even had an ice cream. I KNOW!
Anyway, back to baking, because I haven’t baked enough lately.
These came about because the beautiful fresh ricotta I had in the fridge was being constantly forgotten as a toast topping option in the morning by both M & I and, well, I felt like baking.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we are!
- 1 large free range egg
- 50g of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp of honey
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups of spelt flour
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1 punnet of fresh strawberries, washed & diced
- 3 heaped tbsp of fresh ricotta (buy the best you can get & I always prefer full fat)
- Spray a 12 hole cupcake tray with olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 160c
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your egg, butter and honey. Stir well
- Add the lime zest, juice and almond milk. Mix through
- Sift your spelt flour and baking powder together into the bowl and stir into a thick batter. You can add a little more flour/more milk if you think it's needed.
- Gently fold through the diced strawberries and broken up ricotta
- Spoon into the cupcake moulds - a heaped tablespoon into each one should do it, or half fill the hole
- Bake at 160c for half an hour or until they start to go golden on top
- It is super important that you allow them to cool completely before popping them out of their moulds - these babes break apart super easily when warm, but are much tougher when they're cooled!
I topped them with extra lime zest, a little honey and dollops of ricotta to serve because it was pretty… it tasted good too! But mainly, it was pretty.
They’ve made super-awesome afternoon tea at work, too.
I am back on board for 2016 – there is loads in store for me this year and I can’t wait to share every little bit with you!
Stay tuned & biggest love,